Salmon Bay Paddle - SUP Instruction & Tours in the Pacific Northwest Tel: 206-465-7167 / salmonbaypaddle@gmail.com

11/29/2013

Gear Drying in Winter

This is the first year I've been able to find participation in my SUP lessons and tours past October.  Most SUP businesses are shut down this time of year but the sport is maturing and many are finding that they can paddle all year.  I also do a lot of educating to assist my students and others of proper winter paddling clothing which has been helpful in getting more folks on the water on our 30-50F fall and winter days.

But the downside of having regular winter classes is that my rental equipment maintenance time has increased with round the clock wetsuit drying.  After every class, I haul 3-6 full wetsuits, booties, gloves, hooded vests and other items to my basement bathroom for rinsing and drying.  All gear can be dried (at least the inside) overnight using a space heater and a bootie dryer.  I crank the heat up, spritz the room with air freshener to reduce the nasty wet neoprene smell and remove the gear in the morning to start over again.  Sometimes Hawaii sounds great for a business relocation, but the grass is always greener.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest in Salmon Bay Paddle!