When to remove your fins..
I've heard beginners surprised when we mention removing fins.
Here's 3 times you should remove them..
- Before driving through drive-thru's and parking garages - note bar height overhead
- At least monthly otherwise they'll get stuck in there from salt and sand. Grind out? Yikes.
- Stacking boards for transport or storage. Much easier to not deal with off set stacking.
Taking Care of your Fins and Fin Boxes..
- Whenever you take your fin out, wash out the empty slot with water to clean out sand, dirt and salt.
- Wash your fin screws/plate and any quick release mechanisms (QFR, etc).
Forgot your Fin or Fin Screws? Here's how to avoid that common problem...
- Keep your fin screws and plates in a plastic jar or container in your car or surf bucket.
- Always store an extra fin or two in your car or mobile surf bucket. Same goes with leashes.
- Keep foil tape on hand for ding repairs but also to tape a fin in if you forgot the screws.
Have any fin removal or care tips? Share with us!
Learn more about car-topping a SUP..
Thanks for reading!
Rob Casey - Salmon Bay Paddle
Seattle, WA USA / PSUPA
Freighter & Tug Surf with us!